Museum of Seafaring

Loviisa has been a seafaring town ever since its inception in 1745. The museum presents the town’s exciting maritime history, which is well worth exploring. The sail-ship era continued for the first 170 years of the town. Loviisa exported timber products, and the most significant import product was salt.

The first steamboats arrived in Loviisa in the mid-19th century. In 1926, Ragnar Nordström started a shipping business that continued in the town for 44 years. One of Finland’s largest family-run shipping companies in its time, the company had a total of 71 vessels of various sizes under its flag.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, wooden boats were built by two boatyards in Loviisa. Due to war reparations, boat building was started in Valko, and this continued until the 1980s.


Javascript is required to view this map.
Go to Google Maps
Museum info

Address
Laivasilta 8, 07900 Loviisa
Phone
+358 400 832 863
Opening hours
3.6 - 3.9.2017 Mon - Sun 10 - 17
Entrance fee
Adults 3 € Children under 12 years free
Guiding
By appointment 50 €
Service languages
Service languages (advance booking required)