Helsingin Diakonissalaitoksen museo_kello nahkakotelossa

#
The valuable portable clock in its leather case relates the history of welfare work in Finland, which began at the initiative of a wealthy benefactor, Aurora Karamzin, in 1867. That year, there was still snow in southern Finland in June. In the autumn of famine and epidemics, Helsinki Deaconess Institute commenced its operations as an epidemic hospital. This clock, dating from the early 19th century, was donated by Aurora Karamzin to the first director of the institute, Chief Physician Otto E. A. Hjelt.
Photo: Pertti Nisonen